Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Oxford and Exeter College Experiences

Although a week late, I would like to share my collegiate experiences with you thus far.  As I stated in a previous blog, I am taking Romanticism and Modernism literature classes at Exeter college, and have been attending both for a week now.  The schedule is nowhere near strenuous, but the classes require more intellect than I can ever dream of having.  This is not to say that I cannot keep up in the course, nor understand what is being discussed, but otherwise, some of the material being presented finds itself floating above my head, sneering in my direction.  The first day was a humbling experience, (making me wonder what the hell I'm doing here among the brilliant and refined) but I have settled in quite nicely and have promised myself that I will be just fine.

Now, back to the timeline of events.  An hour train ride brought me to the Oxford station, where I grabbed my things and took off with the three Kentuckian's previously met.  Upon arrival, we hiked about fifteen minutes to our college, Exeter.  I felt as if I had walked straight into a Harry Potter film.  The courtyard was green as can be, (not intended for walking on, although a late night walk back from the pubs constituted a quick frolic across the sacred ground) and the surrounding looked like I would be living and studying within a midieval castle of sorts.  Got my room key, signed in, and found my room.  Quaint, yet all the necessities needed to survive a three week stent.  Pre-dinner drinks were arranged in the Fellows garden, where we awkwardly sipped champagne amongst our fellow students and professors.  The reason I say awkwardly should be quite obvious: in a suit and tie, (not my usual attire) I attempted to seem as if I was accustomed to this act, but am sure that I miserably failed.  This is quite alright, I believe most others felt the same way.

We then entered the dining hall.  Ceilings that seemed to go on for ages stood above us, massive portraits of scholars of yesterday adorned the walls, and stained glass windows cast multi-colored beams of light onto the solid oak tables.  The dinner was nothing short of immaculate: five courses, including a lime and basil sorbet to cleanse the palet, along with an aged red and white wine to bring it all together.  When this had ended, most all made their way to the college pub, directly underneath the dining hall (yes, each Oxford college has its own pub on campus!).  A nice variety of libations were available, including Guinness on tap, which has been my choice there.  Off to bed from there, in order to prepare for my first lecture, bright and early at nine the next morning.

The lectures here last an hour, with thirty minutes allowed for questions.  They range from all different types of topics, including "Chaucer's Pilgrims" and "Redefining the Dictionary."  They have been very interesting and I have enjoyed attending each of them.  Both of my classes have been a joy, and each professor is a professional in their respectable field.  On a side note, one of my professors, Dr. Tom MacFaul, sounds EXACTLY like Stewey from Family Guy and has the stereotypical teeth of a Brit.  The genious that flows from his mouth draws the attention away from these two, so I am able to focus on the importances instead of the prevvious stated sights and sounds.  Like I said before, some of the content flies over my head, but I have been keeping up with it just fine.  I am currently in the middle of my first paper (each class demands one paper for the grade of the class, thus forcing me to abandon my procrastinating ways) which I have titled "Wordsworth's Sense of Self: Using Social Disarray to Achieve Personal Enlightenment."  It focuses on the Romantic poet's idea that one's self must be discovered in order to compose meaningful poetry, and that society has a tendency to put a damper on the intellectual mind.  I struggled from the beginning, but feel I have found m groove and it is coming along rather nicely.  I have met many great friends here and have taken advantage of the nightlife, especially in the first week.  Due to these papers, I have slowed down, but plan on picking it back up when I turn them in at the beginning of the coming week.

Once again, I have not been able to post pictures on this blog, so visit my Facebook page and see what I am seeing.  The next installment of my writings will feature probably what will be the best part of the trip for me: my pilgrimage to Liverpool to discover the rich and astounding history of The Beatles, my bread and butter!  Again, thanks for following, and stay tuned for more excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment